Image Map

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Here we go, Something I said I'd never do...

I have always been strongly against the cry it out method, otherwise known as Ferberizing. My Pediatrician has told us from the time T was three months old that we needed to do it. I've researched and concluded that it was just not for us. Fast forward to now, when T is three weeks away from her first birthday, and thinks a thirty minute nap in the morning and afternoon is good enough and here's where I am. ready to give it a try.
My problem with doing it when she was younger was based on the thought that she is still learning to trust me. And how is she going to learn to trust me and know that I will always be there for her when I put her in a strange, dark, lonely room, in her crib and let her cry and scream herself to sleep?? That is not how I wanted our relationship to start.
She's slept comfortably and snuggly in our bed for the past year, and we have loved every minute of family bed.  We adore waking up with her every day and having that family snuggle time. It is one of our favorite things. And I wouldn't trade those memories for all the comfortable sleep in the world.
As a little baby she would take the occasional nap in her crib or swing but never for more than thirty minutes or so. Now as a bigger baby, she'll sleep in her swing for an hour or less for naptime. And most naptimes she does sleep in her swing. But I've noticed more and more lately that when she wakes up she's still showing signs of sleepiness, eye rubbing, laying her head on my shoulder, that sort of thing. She never seems to wake up refreshed.
So today, after much conversation with my sister, and even more inner soul searching I decided today is the day to start letting her cry it out. My plan is to just do it for her two daytime naps and once she gets used to that, then I will start at nighttime.
I know this will be the best thing for her, and for my back, I wake up every morning smushed up against the wall with a back ache or a headache or both! She's a bed HOG!
So here goes! Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment