Image Map

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Help me, I'm a mother!


I have a 3 and a 1/2 year old. She's the absolute light of my life and I love her dearly. BUT she's a tiny tornado that makes messes everywhere she goes! OMG I know you moms out there know exactly what I'm talking about. That SomeECard that says cleaning the house with a toddler is like brushing your teeth while eating oreos is EXACT! Hits it right on the head. We're really working on cleaning up after ourselves and choosing one toy at a time. Establishing good habits and all that jazz. It's hard for me because I'm not very organized, so I'm working on new habits too. Shout out to the Fly Lady, she's helping! More on that later.
So, the point of this post in what I'm sure will become a series, the one thing in her bedroom that I absolutely could not get a handle on were her books. She has a very nice book shelf that I'd love to use. But when the books are on the shelf she always always ends up dumping them all out! And once 75 books are dumped on the floor the room goes to hell in a handbasket FAST! And I get overwhelmed and I just throw my hands in the air and say FINE! Stay that way then! And it's a vicious cycle.

So about two weeks ago I decided I'd had enough. Something had to give. So I got two Thirty One bins, the your way cube, and the your way rectangle. I pulled all her books off the shelf and put them in these bins. I told her if I found them dumped on the floor they were going up. No more books.
(I really hoped she didn't push me on this one, what kind of mom wants to take all the books away?? I was so bluffing!)
It's been two weeks. I find a few books scattered here and there but they have not been dumped out once. I have a theory, they're stacked in like records. I think it's easier for her to thumb through them and see what she wants than it was on the shelf. I also think the bins are too dang heavy for her to tip over.
It's win win. Her room is organized with Thirty One, which I love, and I don't have so much mess to clean up.
Mommy for the win!!

No comments:

Post a Comment